Friday, March 28, 2014

A Perfect Reminder

Tonight was one of those nights where you feel no matter what you say or do your children are just out of control.  We took the kids out to eat tonight and then took a drive for a few minutes to see if we could calm them down a bit. After a while I was more able to enjoy their over abundance of personality. I love hearing my children laughing and playing together and making relationships that will grow and last for eternity.

After we said family prayer tonight and I was putting the girls to bed my sweet little Keija said, "mommy, I want to hear the Jesus stories."  Keija suffers from horribly vivid nightmares.  She has since she was very young. One of her first words was the word bushers when she was around 18 months old.  We asked her over and over what a busher was and she could never explain it to us.  This past month she was finally able to explain the monster from her nightmares that was a busher.  To combat these horrible dreams her older sister came up with a beautiful idea.  Anytime Keija feels like she is going to have nightmares Kk will read to her from the Book of Mormon.  Tonight as I laid her down to sleep and she asked me so sweetly to tell her the Jesus stories, how could I refuse.  We opened the Gospel library app on my phone and found the Friend magazine for the month of April.  We read nearly the entire thing before she finally turned to me with a sleep face and said "I can't keep my eyes open anymore mamma."  I told her she could close them and go to sleep and she said "but I don't want to miss anything." After she finally drifted to sleep I was about to stop reading when my 10 year old Kk said, "Don't stop reading, I'm not asleep yet."

After Kk fell asleep I opened the Ensign for this month and read the first presidency message.  It was all about anchoring yourself to the Gospel but a part of it stood out very strongly in my mind..."Adversity can come as a great storm to blow us off course and threaten to cast us against the rocks.  But sometimes we are also in danger when everything appears to be safe-the winds soft and the waters smooth.  In fact, we can be in the greatest danger when we are drifting and movement is so slight that we scarcely notice it."-Pres. Dieter F. Uchtdorf.  I find myself in this situation more often than I'd care to admit.

I am so blessed to have sweet spirits on loan who remind me with a simple phrase to stop and listen to the spirit and guidance I am receiving. I'm so blessed to be able to be truly present in these special times of learning and spiritual growth. And I am blessed to have beautiful children who yearn for the teachings of Christ even when I 'forget'.

No comments: