Monday, November 1, 2010

Adopted!


We told this little princess last night that she was adopted. Kk is a girl of extremes so I was ready for the worst. She is either happy or sad, she doesn't react or over-reacts, she is angry or content. There is really no middle ground for her.
We told her that daddy adopted her when she was a baby and she had another daddy when she was born who decided she would be better off with one daddy instead of two whole families. From the moment we started talking to her about it she clung to Michael like she hasn't since she was 3.
I can not tell you how many times I have thanked my Heavenly Father that Kk's biological dad was a sensible person, willing to sacrifice so much for this little girl. It's not that he didn't want to be there for her, he just knew that she had a GREAT daddy already.
I know there will likely be several questions in our future but so far she's content just knowing.
I was a bit surprised by Kk's reaction to the conversation. Her statement pretty much sums it up.
"You didn't adopt me dad, me and mom adopted you!!"
She is a smart little girl!

9 comments:

Cary said...

It has been obvious for years that she is one smart kid but she is also one wonderful child of God! It was a brave to thing to do... I am glad she heard it from you! We have some friends that had a similiar situation but things turned out differently!

Huntsmans said...

You nerd! I am sobbing! Thank you for sharing that story, we love your family so much and the examples you set for us!

Kristin said...

That's awesome!

Kay said...

Yep, got a little teary there! She does has one of the best dad's in the world!

mckenna said...

What an amazing girl. And a lucky one too. She is so blessed!! You all are to have such a great little family. Love you guys!!

Will said...

I like the way she put it too. You two picked a winner.

Alysha said...

That is pretty sweet. I'm glad the conversation went well. You are such a beautiful, wonderful family!

Tami said...

Kids are so good at understanding. I like her statement- she is a smart girl.

Holly said...

Okay, crying now and I have 36 more blog posts to read... Such a smart girly! LOVE YOU!