Tuesday, February 3, 2009

School & Sickies:)

Michael and I have been debating on whether or not to pull Kailye out of her school. She is bored to tears and is just "learning" everything she learned the past two years. After a lot of debate the past few weeks we decided to keep her at her school, (for now). First, she likes it and loves her friends. Second, we can still take the time at home to teach her everything else we think she should be learning.
So yesterday Kk and I took a trip to the Home Schooling store to get a few work books to start with and we dug in. She is liking it already. She breezed right through the kindergarten beginners set so we are going to head into math and focus on reading and writing. I was shocked to learn the only thing the state requires her to know by the time she leaves kindergarten is her ABC's and the sounds they make, and write and recognize the number 0-9. Are you kidding me? She knew that when she was 3.
We also headed to the library and I let Kk pick a topic she wanted to learn about. She found a Greek God's & Goddesses book and decided that looked fun. I'm so glad to see her excited about learning again. I know a few of you do home schooling as well...let me know of any guides or work books you have liked...please?
We have had sickies around our house this past few days. Kk and Keija only have coughs now but what ever that bug was that went around it was brutal. My poor kids were miserable. They were both so cuddly...that never happens! Kk is home again today. Michael is a little worried about the cough spreading through her class...so...home again. I love having my kids home.

8 comments:

Kristin said...

You will have to let us know how the schooling goes. It is nice to hear that she is happy learning from you.

Tami said...

I have to say that is the way I do the schooling thing. I like that they get the social out of it. I can do things at home to compensate. Although when I went to school to help the other day and this girl was coughing all over I thought. "If Garrett comes home with that!" He did! So I wish more kids would stay home or learn to cover there mouths with there elbow when they are sick! Alright I have said my peace.

Will said...

That's awesome that she loves learning so much.

Holly said...

I hope everyone feels better soon! That is good KK is excited about learning more! ;)

mckenna said...

NO fun to have sick little ones! Hope everyone's feeling better soon. I've been 'attempting' to home school Payson for preschool. Out here you basically pay for a playgroup and they dare call it PRESCHOOL. It's a joke. So if you get any good suggestions I'd LOVE some good materials too!!

Hilary said...

It is sad how little they require the kids to know. I taught first grade for a year and I had students who came in still not knowing their last name, let alone the ABC's! Now I'm in AZ and in our school district they "strongly urge" the kids who are behind to do all day kindergarten and the other kids just go half a day. They seem to progress a lot more that way. There might be some charter or private schools around there that would be more challenging for her, although then she doesn't go to school with the kids in your neighborhood. Good luck. You sound like you're doing some good things to help her.

Linda said...

The library called today and set #8 of the primer readers is in. They only have 2 so I put my name on the list for the next one KK needs. Do you want me to go get it now or wait?
Glad everyone is feeling better.

Kari said...

That's so sad that public schools require so little, but even sadder that there are kids whose parents haven't taught them those things and who really do need to learn them at kindergarten. KK is so smart so I think it's great that she's learning from you guys at home and enjoying it again.