Kailye had her surgery this morning. She had to have tubes and have her adenoids removed. She was doing very well until these two ladies with the child welfare for the hospital came in. They talked to her like she was a baby, and made her very nervous. Kailye is used to being talked to like an adult or an equal and she didn't seem to appreciate being talked to like a 2 year old...hmm, weird. They made her a little nervous for a second but she did very well when the doctors took her back to the operating room.
It was only supposed to take 20 for the surgery and then another 10 minutes for her to wake up before they brought her back to us. Well at 50 minutes I was a bit nervous, I was already really nervous about her being put under as it was, and her doctor came in to explain why it was taking so long. Kailye had a reaction to the anesthesia as she was waking up. The rings that are around her esophagus at her vocal cords shut and blocked her breathing. So they had to immediately put her back to sleep so they could get her muscles to relax. It took quite a while and they actually had to put a tube down her throat and bag her for 6-7 minutes. The doctor said she should have quite a bit of bruising on her face because it took a lot of pressure to get air in her lungs. They sugar coated it when they first told us but as the day went on and we heard other nurses in the hospital talking about it we learned that we nearly lost her. Thank goodness the anesthesiologist was still in the room and there were a lot of quick nurses there to respond. Our doctor said the team there responded very quickly and she was impressed with there speed. Not exactly something you want to hear about your tiny 4 year old's surgery, but I am very grateful everything turned out okay. Since she was "the naughty one" as the nurses said teasing, they kept her there for much longer then a normal surgery. We got there at 9:30 and were told we'd only be there 3 hours, well we went home at 4:30.
We have been home all afternoon and she has gone back to her happy self. She does have a very sore throat and she has to be watched very closely for the next 24 hours. We were told if her breathing changes even in the slightest to take her straight to the emergency room. So it may be a long night, but it is much better than the alternative. I'm so glad that my husband has the ability to bless our little ones. We had him give her a blessing last night while we were at Adam and Kari's, thank you mom for reminding us to do so, and I feel like that helped her today. Well it's been a long day and it's about to be a long night so I better go.
We have been home all afternoon and she has gone back to her happy self. She does have a very sore throat and she has to be watched very closely for the next 24 hours. We were told if her breathing changes even in the slightest to take her straight to the emergency room. So it may be a long night, but it is much better than the alternative. I'm so glad that my husband has the ability to bless our little ones. We had him give her a blessing last night while we were at Adam and Kari's, thank you mom for reminding us to do so, and I feel like that helped her today. Well it's been a long day and it's about to be a long night so I better go.
6 comments:
Oh my gosh...that is scary! I am so happy to hear she is okay! Blessing truly are the best... ;)
Good to hear everything is going well now
Phew! Glad she is alright. I'm so grateful we live with all this medical technology. It's amazing the things doctors can do now!
Oh sweetie! How scary for you guys! But yes, what a blessing it was for the doc's and nurses to be on top of it! Sounds like the blessing the night before really was a good thing! I hope you keep us posted and that she's alright today! I will think of you!
Yikes! I was thinking about her surgery and I was totally not worried, but that is so scary! I was really glad to see you guys walk back in on Monday night after you left. I agree with you how important blessings are.
Holy Cow!! How scary! I am so so glad that she is doing ok and thank goodness for the quick response of the medical team! I am glad that she is doing well now. You are so blessed in your lives. Glad Kailye is doing well.
Post a Comment